Sunday, August 7, 2011

US Credit ratings


This morning was disappointing. Standard and Poor’s downgraded US credit ratings by one level. America is no longer among the most creditworthy countries.
I am in the field where I have to (and love to) stay up to date with current events. What happened this morning affected me deeply. I came to this country because it is supposed to be the best. I was angry after hearing the news. Maybe I was just sad. Either way I let it out. I cursed and yelled at Democrats and more specifically Obama. Doesn’t he have right to a veto and make a good decision? He is after all the President.
I am generally a positive person but I also believe that it’s healthy and necessary to let your anger out so that we are not stuck in the same emotions. After cursing and yelling now I feel much better.
I went within to see why this affected me so much. I realized that the angry and sad emotions had the underlying stronger emotion of insecurity. I felt insecure. But does that mean that my security comes from our national ratings? Not really. It actually comes from the belief that I am in the best country in the world, land of opportunities and the great things we hear about America.
I realized that this emotion is making me feel crippled. It is taking away my power. I cannot control what happens to and in this country but I can control my attitude. So here I will try to describe my morning again:
I love weekends. This morning I woke up early to beautiful sunshine coming through my window. I felt angels waking me up softly. What a blessing. My dad and I made the most delicious Aloo Paratha (Whole wheat bread stuffed with potatoes and herbs) with healthy green tea. What a great way to start my weekend.
I turned on TV and learned that US credit rating is down by one level. I feel blessed that even in this chaos, it is down only by one point. It is just a part of the change. I can embrace it or resist it. I choose to embrace it. Change is good, it helps us evolve. Being stuck stinks, just like stagnated water. Nothing can be perfect forever; perfection is even dangerous because it will stop us from seeking better. So I embrace the imperfection of the world and most importantly myself.
So I will not worry about my stomach fat today, nor will I worry about my pimple. I will simply be grateful for what I have until I get angry again, (which I will) but no matter what I will never stay stuck. I am secure that this world is ever changing and evolving just like our minds. I hope you feel the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment